Wednesday, April 15, 2015

How I know About the USS Kirk’s Story (Northern Virginia Photographer, Capt. Paul Jacobs)

 
You know, I get some pretty cool experiences being a photographer.  I get to capture unforgettable moments, record stages in peoples lives, meet incredible people.
Well, more recently I spoke with Captain Paul Jacobs of the USS Kirk.  He had an incredible story of his time in Vietnam.  He is in a documentary called The Lucky Few that tells the story of how they saved hundreds of refugees.  He more recently has been included in an upcoming documentary called Last Days of Vietnam.  This movie was directed by Rory Kennedy, who is the daughter of Robert Kennedy. 
As a gift to Rory for shedding light on the experiences there, Capt. Paul Jacobs is giving her a special coin of her uncle, John F. Kennedy. 
Now here's where I come into play, the coin is so small it's hard to see the images.  So, I was asked to photograph the front and back of the coin so it can be seen easier. 
It was a fun experience and an honor to meet Capt. Paul Jacobs and to here is story. 
If you get a chance you can see the Last Days of Vietnam on April 28th at 9pm on PBS. 
 
Here's the coin.....
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Yes, Capt. Jacobs and the entire crew of the Kirk have an amazing story and I see them as the "face of American Exceptionalism".

I published a book last year "I Didn't Want To Worry You Mom ... " at http://www.blurb.com/b/5883759-i-didn-t-want-to-worry-you-mom and have personally met, and consider a friend, Cdr. Hugh Doyle the Chief Engineer of the Kirk. I've also talked & emailed with Capt. Jacobs several times.
I've also put together a 20 minute video at - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sloZqBsalZc - which features Kirk among several other stories.

Thanks for adding this bit of knowledge to my Navy ditti-bag of knowledge.

Hugh Doyle told me a few days ago that Capt. Jacobs has suffered a serious stoke - I wish him well and a recovery from such a serious blow to his health.

Don Johnson